Lime kilns at Isleham
Built around 1860, these listed buildings are the remains of a thriving clunch quarrying industry in this Fen Edge village. Three of the kilns are preserved, with the fire hearths visible inside. The clunch rubble was loaded in through the circular openings at the top after being carted up the ramp. Fires were fuelled with coal and burned continuously. Quicklime was raked out at the bottom as the final product. Work stopped around 1935. These are now listed buildings.
The interiors may still house bats, so please approach and view the kilns (from the outside) with consideration.
Isleham is the finishing point of our Fen Edge Trail which links the village to others on the edge of the Cambridgeshire Fens, from Peterborough, via Ramsey, St Ives and Cambridge to here on the border with Suffolk.
Location (Open Street Map)
View of kiln entrances
Circular loading opening with access ramp